Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Borderline personality disorder is a psychiatric classification for persons who exhibit the following characteristics:
- Frantic efforts to avoid abandonment, either by parents or other persons whom the person is in a relationship with
- A pattern of unstable and intense personal relationships
- An unstable sense of self - varying between extreme highs and lows of self-esteem
- Impulsivity - characterized by promiscuous sex, eating disorders, substance abuse or risk taking
- Attempts at suicide and/or self-harming behavior
- Unstable affect, characterized by short periods of intense moods
- Feelings of emptiness
- Difficulty controlling anger
- Transient paranoia or delusions
BPD is highly correlated with childhood abuse, including sexual abuse.
BPD responds well to psychotherapy, with most patients responding well during a two year course. However, it is common for relationships between the patient and therapist to be strained by the patient's tendency to project bad motives onto the therapist and therapists must be trained to recognize and deflect this.
Gregory House exhibits many of the characteristics of someone with BPD, but has instead been diagnosed on at least one occasion with antisocial personality disorder. APD responds poorly to all forms of treatment.